If you want to play video games for a living, knowing how to stream on Twitch can help. It’s the biggest live-streaming platform and is home to 31 million daily users, which, if approached correctly, can significantly benefit the start of your professional gaming career.
Despite the active community size, Twitch allows you to earn while streaming—Making it the go-to hub for many content creators and broadcasters seeking to earn money while creating content. This all sounds great. But because of the lucrative rewards and active user size, many gamers use this platform to stream.
Therefore, it’s somewhat competitive on Twitch. But don’t be discouraged. Below we teach you everything required to successfully stream on Twitch, including setting up an account, the equipment, and how you start generating some interest.
Create a Twitch Account for Streaming
Before anything, you must set up your Twitch account to stream. The platform has made this easy. Simply follow the below guidelines:
Study the Community Guidelines
Firstly, you must check the Twitch Community Guidelines before creating an account. You need to follow this step, as it’ll show you what is and isn’t accepted by Twitch. Further down the road, this could reduce the number of penalties or violations you encounter.
Sign up on a PC or Mobile
Once you’re familiar with the Community Guidelines, set up an account. You can do this on a PC or Mobile. Whatever you use, head to the official Twitch website, click the “sign up” button and follow their clear directions.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
When you’ve entered all the required personal information, Twitch will request you to enable two-factor authentication (2FA). This extra layer of security will protect your account from unauthorized logins.
Things to Consider Before Twitch Streaming
Before launching any broadcasts, there are a few critical considerations that you must note to ensure a good experience for your viewers:
Choose the Right Streaming Software
If you’re using a laptop or desktop, you need broadcasting software. This will allow you to stream on Twitch smoothly and in high quality. There are two options to select from; software encounters and hardware encounters. However, we urge you to select the software option as a beginner.
As streaming is such a large industry, there are many options. With the most popular being below:
- OBS – Hard to learn, but it’s a free, open-source streaming software.
- vMix – If you want the best quality, vMix is a fantastic option, but professionals commonly use it.
- XSplit – Excellent for modest streamers wanting something between OBS and vMix.
- Streamlabs – Only available on Windows but has several features that help monetize your Twitch channel.
- Restream Studio – Chat room, musicians, and podcast streamers commonly use this because it’s easy to use and streams professionally.
You will also need a game capture card if you’re not streaming directly from the PC or Laptop (For instance, a PlayStation or Xbox console), regardless of the software you use above.
Pick the Best Hardware Tools
Good hardware tools will also make your live streaming higher quality. Ideally, you want all of the following:
- Webcam – A decent video camera can help develop more engaging relationships as viewers can see you. A built-in webcam is sufficient, but ideally, you want an action camera or camcorder.
- Microphone – People want to hear you, so having a good microphone is beneficial. Choices we commonly see on Twitch are the Boya BY-M1 and Behringer XM8500.
- Good internet connection – To stream on Twitch, they recommend that everyone broadcasting video games have at least a constant 6-8 Mbps internet speed.
- Computer or gaming console – You also need a fast computer with an updated processor and graphics card. As a console streamer, an Xbox or PlayStation already includes these.
- Additional accessories – All popular broadcasters have other extras, such as lighting, that can help your streaming quality.
The above can improve your stream significantly if you want to stream video games or chat online.
Basic Steps to Stream on Twitch
Once you feel confident in your setup, it’s time to start streaming. Here’s how:
Step 1: Log in to your software encoder and search for a “Destinations” tap that allows you to select Twitch.
Step 2: After, go over to Twitch and log in.
Step 3: Once here, it’ll ask you to authorize your Twitch account with the software encounter; click “Authorize.”
Step 4: Now that you’ve done this, go back to your software encounter click “Create a broadcast,” and select “New broadcast.”
Step 5: You will now be live. Check your camera and mic settings and start gaining some viewers.
Please note your instructions might differ when you want to start broadcasting based on your streaming software.
How to Stream on Twitch from Your PC & Laptop?
If you want a more in-depth guide about streaming Twitch from a gaming PC or Laptop, we recommend you read the following:
- First, download broadcasting software. To download Twitch Studio or any broadcasting software, search for “Creator,” then “Dashboard,” and then “Streaming tools” on Twitch.
- After you’ve downloaded one of them, run the software.
- Once it’s downloaded, launch the application, click “Get Started, ” and follow the on-screen steps (this will include inputting your Twitch information, such as a stream key).
- Now it’s set up; you will enter the application’s main page. Here you can see your stream video, source box, etc., which you can customize.
- Lastly, once you’re happy with the layout, in the top right-hand corner, click “Start Stream” and then “Go Live” to begin broadcasting.
The above instructions are for Twitch Studio. However, any streaming software works similarly.
How to Stream PS4 on Twitch?
If you want to broadcast directly from your PS4, you can do this by following the below instructions:
- On your PS4, go to “System” and disable “Enable HDCP.” Next, activate your in-game audio by going through “Sharing and Broadcast,” “Settings,” “Advanced Settings,” and “Audio Sharing.” Lastly, turn on “Display messages” by going to “Broadcast,” “Settings,” and then “Advanced Settings.”
- After, get the PS4’s output to your software encoder by going “Under Settings,” “Network,” “Set up Internet Connection,” “Custom,” “Automatics,” “Do Not Specify,” “Manual,” then enter the IP address of the software.
- Once completed, start broadcasting gameplay by clicking the controller’s “Share Button” when in the game. From here, you will need to connect your Twitch account with a QR code.
- Afterward, check your Twitch to see if everything is working.
Please note if you’re streaming directly from your PS4, it doesn’t support any webcams apart from the PlayStation camera.
How to Stream on Twitch from Your Smartphone?
You can also stream on Twitch using mobile devices, like a smartphone, by following the below instructions:
Step 1: Download the Twitch app from the iOS or Google Play app store.
Step 2: Once installed, launch the application.
Step 3: Tap on the profile images located in the top left-hand corner.
Step 4: Hit the “Go Live” Button.
Step 5: Set up your stream by giving it a name, picking the camera you want to use, selecting a content category, etc.
Step 6: Once finished, you’ll be streaming.
With a Smartphone, setting up a Twitch stream is straightforward and accessible for most people nowadays.
How to Stream on Twitch from Xbox?
To share your gaming experiences on Xbox via Twitch, see the below step-by-step guide:
Step 1: On your Xbox, head over to the Twitch app and “Log in.”
Step 2: After you get prompted to head over to “twitch. tv/activate” on an external device, enter the six-digit code shown on your Xbox.
Step 3: Your Twitch account will now be linked to Xbox Live.
Step 4: Before streaming, click “Transfer” and “Next” on the external device to run a performance test.
Step 5: If everything looks good, launch your game and click the “Start Transfer” button to begin streaming.
Using an Xbox to stream on Twitch is easy. Before broadcasting, make sure your microphone and gameplay are set up correctly.
Special Tips for Promoting Your Stream on Twitch
When you stream on Twitch, you want to build an audience that enjoys viewing your creative content. There are many ways to help with this, including the following:
Make Your Live stream Look and Sound Good
To excel in the streaming world, it’s essential to have a broadcast that’s appealing to viewers. If you want to be seen as a professional or top streamer, it will help if you consider the following:
- Create Scenes in OBS Studio – These are different layouts of content that you can use during a stream.
- Start Using Overlays – Can be used as graphics that sit over live footage, which can help organize your streaming layout.
- Use Twitch Alerts – These are audio-visual packages that are triggered by an action, such as someone subscribing to your channel.
- Add Music – Music can help fill quiet moments during the stream. If you use music, make sure it’s royalty-free.
- Have Creative Screens – A screen of your streaming times, end stream, or a “BRB” screen can make your gaming stream more professional.
Including the above will make your broadcast look more professional by looking visually pleasing, high-quality, and interactive.
Pick the Right Platform to Broadcast
Choosing a platform that makes your stream look good is also important. There are many software’s you can use for this. Something like Lightstream’s Studio 2 is great. The platform is simple to use and doesn’t require you to be significantly technical to set up a high-quality broadcast.
Improve Twitch Stream Quality
If your Twitch stream is poor quality, lagging, and doesn’t look or sound appealing to viewers, they won’t stick around for a long time. Because of this, you should use high-quality software and hardware. A good streaming setup consists of equipment like a good microphone, PC or console, software encoder, lighting, camera, etc., as these will help attract and retain viewers.
Also, simply having a “plan” for your stream is essential. Having the games you want to stream readily available can help with the broadcast flow. Before going live, ensuring your equipment is working properly is always important. You can double-check audio and video by running a test on Twitch, which will help you confirm the quality of the stream.
Stream to a Consistent Schedule
You know when your favorite shows on TV air. Therefore, creating a consistent schedule is important for your viewers as they’ll know how and when to find you. Having a simple content calendar for the month or year is sufficient.
All Twitch streams have a schedule, which is normally based on the most active times for Twitch users, which are between 11 AM and 2 PM PST. Doing this will help you gain the most viewers for your stream.
Promote Your Twitch Channel on Other Social Networks
It’s always a good practice to promote your Twitch channel on other social media platforms, websites, or blogs, as this will help generate more interest for your broadcast. Ideally, you’ll want to consider where your niche audience is located online.
Popular options to promote a stream consist of Facebook, a YouTube channel, Vimeo, Reddit, and Pinterest. Utilizing this wide outreach method will enable you to get more people to your stream. With more people watching, you have a higher chance of monetizing your content and attracting sponsors.
Increase Your Twitch Viewers
It doesn’t matter if you have a high-quality stream or are someone who promotes your stream endlessly; you can only grow your Twitch stream if you have viewers. One method of achieving this quickly and effectively is to buy Twitch viewers that boost engagement from other viewers while attracting more to your broadcast.
You can purchase Twitch Views from Buy Real Media, which sells real, authentic viewers that have helped many streams increase their visibility on the platform. There are numerous benefits when you buy Twitch Views that help to make your streams more popular.
Doing this is a great way to monetize your streams, as it’ll generate more viewers who are longer lasting—which is something that sponsors love.
Streaming on Twitch is excellent for those wanting to build a career and audience in the broadcasting sector. With the above guide on how to stream on Twitch, you should be ready to start going live and getting some attention. Before launching a Twitch channel and setting up a broadcast, ensure you have all the high-quality hardware and software needed to make it enjoyable. And, most importantly, have fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Do I Find a Twitch Stream Key?
If you’re looking for your Twitch stream key, you first need an account. When you have one, you can find it under your settings on your profile image in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
What are the Rules of Twitch Etiquette to Engage the Audience?
You first need to follow all the community guidelines that we mentioned above. Alongside these, it always helps to be friendly and polite, avoids swearing, and keep interactions civil between users.
Leave a Reply